Today is my son Koby's 16th
birthday. 16 years. Wow. We
always hear people say, "Where does
the time go?" It is usually parents I hear saying this. Yes,
we see our children every day. We are
there to watch them grow. It isn’t until we take a moment to pause, and reflect
that we realize just how much our children grow. I believe it is because that
change and growth happens slowly, gradually over time. It happens in
stages. It isn’t until we look back and
see just how tiny they were upon entering this world do we realize the magnitude
of their journey. They start out so tiny
and helpless only to grow into stronger, better and more resilient versions of
themselves. Every now and then I sit back and I look at my youngest
son. It is in these moments I see a
striking resemblance between Mini Me and Koby.
My mind starts to wander and a stampede of questions emerge.
I wonder what Koby did at this
age?
Did he like the same things Mini Me
does?
Is he has ornery, sarcastic and all
around goofy and funny like Mini Me is?
I wonder
what he's doing now.
What's his favorite color?
What's his favorite band or song?
What's his favorite food?
Does he sit half off of the chair
like he's in a hurry to get somewhere when he eats? Who is his favorite
athlete and which sport is his favorite?
Does he have a girlfriend?
Has he been in love?
Has he had his heartbroken?
Will he be going to prom?
Is he excited to be turning 16 and
being able to have some new found freedom that comes with turning 16?
Is he good at math or does he have a
favorite subject?
Has he thought about the future and
what his plans might be?
What fears does he have if any?
What is he the most passionate
about?
What goals, dreams and aspirations
does he have?
What kind of a young man is he
growing into?
What accomplishment is he the most
proud of?
What does he want people to remember
the most about him?
Does he know that he is loved by us
even though we aren't there to show him?
Can he feel the love we send him?
Does he hate me?
Does he know that there are times I
can feel him?
Is he angry because I chose adoption
for him?
Does he hate us for not being in his
life?
Does he realize I didn't want to be
a distraction for him in his life?
Does he understand that I wanted to
give him the life I never had myself as a child?
Does he realize I didn’t think I could do that alone as a single parent?
Does he realize I didn’t think I could do that alone as a single parent?
Will he ever know and understand
that I wanted more, so much more for him than I had the ability to give him
when he was born?
Does he know that my heart breaks
each year a few times on days that remind me of him?
But most of all I hope he knows just
how much I love him and how much Mini Me loves him. I'll never
know the answers here but I do know that he is a part of me; a part of my heart
that is on the outside, walking around in this great big world. I love
you Koby. Happy sweet 16th birthday. I dedicate this song to you.
May your dreams bring you peace
in the darkness
May you always rise over the rain
May the light from above always
lead you to love
May you stay in the arms of the
angels
May you always be brave in the
shadows
'Til the sun shines upon you
again
Hear this prayer in my heart and
we'll ne'r be apart
May you stay in the arms of the
angels
May you hear every song in the
forest and if you ever you lose your own way
Hear my voice like a breeze,
whisper soft through the trees
May you stay in the arms of the
angels.
May you grow up to stand as a
man, love
With the pride of your family and
name
When you lay down your head, for
to rest in your bed.
May you stay in the arms of the
angels
No comments:
Post a Comment