Friday, August 14, 2009

Cautiously Optimistic


Yesterday I finally got into see a specialist doctor to get to the bottom of all my "female problems" that I have been having. As I said in my previous post, this problem has been on going & down right tiresome. After taking a time to mull over what to do vs. nothing at all, I eventually came to the conclusion nothing was not an option.

After my first attempt to find relief from my pain, I came away confused, defeated and hopeless. I actually started to wonder if I was nuts. I knew what I felt & that my pain was real, but felt like I was trying to convince my nurse practitioner of this. After all of that can you blame me for "retreating" back to my bed with my heating pad & endless supply of ibuprofen in tow? It was apparent to me at that point, it was safer for me to return to what I knew "worked" to get me through my pain. Alas, the pain would not relent as easily.

It was after much coaxing and encouragement from my mom, that I decided to "make the call". It just so happens that my mom works with quite a few OB/GYN's. She gave me her input as to who she would trust if she needed any of them. Cautiously optimistic, I took her advice & made an appointment.

Yesterday, as I waited in the lobby for my name to be called, I couldn't help but hear doubt start to echo in the back of my mind. I quickly put that out of my head, & focused on the here and now. In that moment, I made a conscious decision to be completely positive and not let my past experience cloud the present.

Moments later, in the examination room, I slowly felt the residual anxiety & doubt slip away. The more I sat and talked WITH my doctor, the more I felt like I was actually being heard & understood. She assured me I wasn't alone in feeling the way I did. She said, "More often than not, women seem to wait to go to the doctor as we are so busy taking care of everybody else's needs." Logically, I already knew this but hearing it from another woman & mom seemed to penetrate my thick head like a lightening bolt. The doctor went on to also inform me that the pain I have been experiencing over the years, is very common. Now that, I did not know. Mentally I sighed a huge sigh of relief. I knew right then and there that I was indeed, in good hands. We sat for a bit longer & went on further to talk about options for treatment. I was blown away at even the idea of there even BEING options. Options meant I was actually taking part in my own health care. I had never felt like that before. Having a "say" in how I wanted to proceed gave me a sense of empowerment.

Satisfied with the progress I had made that day, I walked out of the examination room with a bit of a swagger in my step. I took a brief moment to give my husband the condensed version of everything. Initially, he was thrilled. With in moment, I noticed a slow change in the look of his face. By the time we had reached the car he was rather agitated. When I asked what was wrong, he simply said," How is it your regular "doctor"couldn't figure this out, but it took a specialist one examination and we have an answer?" I couldn't help but snicker at that. "I was just thinking the same thing honey." You took the words right out of my mouth!"

The truth is I can drive myself nuts fixating on the why, or I can focus on the solution. With that being said, I am reminded of a statement a family member once made to me. "There's a reason why we have eyes on our face & not the back of our head." Touche. There is a fine line between learning from a past experience & dwelling on it. I know that for me, I am choosing to learn and become more aware for the future. Here's to looking forward and being optimistic about what the future has in store.

1 comment:

Lori said...

Bravo! You are young to have learned that and that is something to be proud of! I am definitely into the pro-active medicine thing. My doctors absolutely hate it when I ask questions and insist on understandable and correct responses. But then, they would prefer that to me suing them because something happened that should not have happened.

Triple Kudos! You Go Girl!