Monday, November 1, 2010

I'm coming out




For obvious reasons I have this song going through my head right now. Actually it's a different version but the same song none the less. In honor of National Adoption Awareness Month I figured it was time enough for me to throw in the towel & quit hiding in the shadows...sort of.

I will still use the same precautions in regards to my son, K, whom I placed for adoption. I don't feel I have the right to use his adoptive name or that of his parents as this is my blog, my feelings, my "story", not theirs. I never asked for their permission to use their real names either. So that will remain the same. My immediate families names will remain hidden as well. Oh sure if you were to dig deeper into the information superhighway, you can find my family & I's real names, & faces fairly easy. Unfortunately in this world we live in, photos quickly get misused & turned into something disgusting. Address searches are used to stalk and harass folks merely because one doesn't like what they have seen or written somewhere. If someone wants to take the time to go so far as to send me a hate filled e-mail/letter I can't stop them. However, I'm not going to give them the direct access into my life by posting specifics here. Personally, there are some boundaries that I just won't cross in order to share my experience with others. I am first and foremost, a mother; and THE biggest mother hen one could ever meet. In my role as mom, I feel it is my utmost responsibility to protect my family as best I can. And that's exactly what I intend to continue to do.

So here I am vulnerable and about to jump into a world where I know I am going to be met by criticism & nastiness. I just hope I don't regret it. So without further ado...

My name is Erica & I am a birthmother. Can you handle that? If so, then I welcome you to share with me in my story of open adoption. If not, then you can quietly leave the same way you arrived here.

7 comments:

Real Daughter said...

Good job. It's not easy to come out of the adoption closet. It took me 42 years to come all the way out, and Ive been adopted for almost 45, lol.

It was fear- afraid my truth would hurt my ap's. Afraid it would hurt my first parents. In the end, not coming out just hurt me.

Good luck on your journey.

Cassi said...

I am so happy you are "coming out." And just remember, when you face the ugliness that exists and the attacks that come, many of us stand behind you and support you and believe in the power of your voice and what you have to say.

ms. marginalia said...

I am happy for you. I hope it feels like a relief. After seeing the hell my nmom went through (and continues to go through) as a result of living in the closet, I imagine that it's freeing to have this important part of your identity out there.

Best of luck. You are strong.

CCmomma said...

hi Erica! Hopefully we can Meet someday. I too live in Colorado ( centennial) and am a HUGE adoption Advocate. I am so ecxited to follow your blog and let other birthmoms read it too. we have a huge group here that meet up a few times a month. Oh and our FSA group too. Hope to hear from you soon:)We'd love to have you come and share your story!
~Corrine.ccbabyinc@gmail.com

etropic said...

Thanks Sassy but I don't consider myself an advocate for adoption by
any means. (Hence the title of my blog)I try not to align myself with organizations such as FSA or any "pro-adoption" type of groups. At the same time, I don't consider myself anti-adoption either. I have a post that I am currently working on that goes into further detail about this exact topic. Thank you for your invitation to share my story and for stopping by my blog as well.

etropic said...

Thank you Linda, Cassi and Ms. Marginalia for your words as well. It's been a struggle in deciding just how "out there" I wanted to put my life and experience with adoption. Adoption is something that has shaped who I am most definitely. However, I don't want it to define me and overshadow my life with my family either. I walk a fine line between being totally honest and trying to protect {both of}my families' identity out of fear of retaliation by others who aren't open to learning and understanding.

birthMOM said...

dood, you should tot go tell your story to FSA- blow them away!
kelsey is one of the key notes at their next CO conference!
the more non LDS, the better! hahahaha
if i had known about it sooner i would have tried to come out for it.